Monday, August 27, 2012

Holly's Chunky Salsa


It's that time of year and tomatoes are taking over my kitchen. I always plant two tomato plants, eat them all summer and still end up canning more than enough to last throughout the year. The bell peppers and jalapenos are also from my garden.

Over the years I've tried different recipes and variations and ended up with my own modified salsa recipe.



Holly's Chunky Salsa

12  lbs. tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3    Medium  onions, chopped
  Green bell peppers, chopped
20  Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (leave some seeds for heat)
6    Cloves garlic, minced
2    Cups tomato sauce
2    Cups red wine vinegar
1/2 Cup dried parsley (or 1 Cup fresh, chopped)
2    tsp Pickling salt
2    tsp ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring  frequently.

Remove hot jars from caner and ladle salsa into jars to with in 1/2 inch of rim. Process 20 minutes for half-pint and pint jars.

yield: 10 pint jars.

This is a Med-Hot salsa. Heat can be adjusted by using more or less jalapenos.


To peel tomatoes - blanch in boiling water until the skins split, let cool, peel and chop.



 Add remaining ingredients.
 (I've had this huge pot for 20+ years and use it often - It looks the same as when I got it. Prior to that it belonged to my grandmother - I figure it must be close to 100 years old).





 Notice nothing is finely chopped - This is chunky salsa.


Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 25 minutes.


Mmmm... chunky goodness.


Ladle into hot jars.

  

Process in hot water bath for 20 minutes.



Remove jars and let cool out of draft.



Enjoy!



My DH said the house smells heavenly.

Now all I need is a grilled cheese sandwich - Especially good when dipped in salsa.


 Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.

Holly

2 comments:

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...