Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Burlap Barn Star

Lately I can't keep up with all the ideas in my head. I think it's because I am obsessed with holiday crafts and decorations and the fact that I have not put up a Christmas tree for the last 2 years - I know - Crazy huh?
 
I get a theme in my head and the ideas just keep coming. So, keeping with my Vintage Barn Star Ornaments and burlap theme on my Christmas tree I had this idea for a large burlap barn star for the mantel.
 
I had this barn star on a shelf in my office for a couple of years and didn't really care for it so it was fated for this makeover.
 
 
First I painted it white because I didn't want green showing through.
 
 
As you can see in the picture above the white shows through even worse. So I dug around and found a pair of dated linen pants that where a close match to the burlap color - You can see this fabric in the upper center of the photo.
 
 
Next I used spray adhesive to cover the star.
 
 
Then pressed the linen fabric on.

 
I trimmed the edges to about 1 inch all around.

 
Then I spayed adhesive on the linen covered star and...

 
Your guessed it - pressed and trimmed again.


 
This is where I relocated to my craft room as it was getting a bit chilly out.


 
I made sure to cover my work surface - These things tend to get a bit messy.
 
 
I trimmed the tips off the points and
 

 
Cut the inside corners.
 
 
Then using Crystal Effects I folded and glued the fabric and burlap to the back of the star.

 
Trimming as needed.
 
 
I used masking tape to keep the edges down.


 
Making a few snips to keep the hanger free - I will be needing that later.



 
I used more Crystal Effects to seal the exposed edges of the burlap to keep it from fraying.


 
Next I hot glued some hemp twine I had on hand around the edges to give it a finished look.

 
 

 
Wow! I love how it turned out. I think it may stick around after the holidays.
 

 
I added a black piece of twine for a hanger...
 
 
to hang on this nail I placed in the top edge of my window pane.
 


 
Now to finish the rest of the mantel projects in my head.
 
Thanks for stopping by! Comments always welcome.
 
Holly





 







 




 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...