Monday, March 4, 2013

Burlap Rosette Pillow

I found the cutest burlap rosette pillow here - I had to make one for myself.

 
At Joann's, while on my way to get a pillow form I came across the clearance isle and found this throw pillow for $8.97. It is so ugly - Right?

After pricing the pillow forms, the same size pillow form was priced at $10.99, so I purchased the ugly pillow. Took it home, unzipped, removed and tossed the ugly cover and washed the pillow.
I had this lighter colored burlap and curtain liner fabric in my fabric stash and some left over burlap ribbon from another project. The Linen thread is from Stampin' Up! and can be purchased here on my Stampin' Up! website.
 
Other supplies - a large needle, natural colored thread and sewing machine.

I measured the pillow circumference adding 8" for the overlap (this will make sense later).
Then measured the width adding 1" for seams.
I cut the burlap and liner.
Then added a 1/2" hem in the overlapping ends.


Then lay the pillow form on the outside (burlap side) and fold over creating the overlap.
 
Then pin being careful not to pin the pillow form.

Remove the pillow form.
Sew the ends closed
Trim excess fabric.
Turn right side out and you are ready to stuff the pillow inside.


To make the rosettes using burlap ribbon and linen thread 
I cut 25" lengths of 5-1/2" wide burlap ribbon, I folded the end in half lengthwise then twisted and folded it over, then twisted and rolled from the inside out making the rosette.






Then, I tucked the end under and sewed it together on the back using a large needle and linen thread.
 




I decided on the placement for the rosettes.
Than carefully pinned them into place.
Then removed the pillow form from the cover and sewed the rosettes in place with linen thread.
 
Replaced the pillow form and.......
 
Voila!
 
 
 




 I tried it in a few places and this is where it landed for now.

I love it and will be making more pillows and rosettes in the future.
 



Thanks for stopping by! Questions and comments welcome.

Holly

3 comments:

  1. Holly! This is so pretty! You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House tomorrow. Pop on in and grab a feature button! Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I am actually covering two of my throw pillows in burlap just now and I had considered buttons but the rosettes are PERFECT.
    Visiting via Kathryn's Make it Pretty Monday.
    XOXO's

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave feedback




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...